The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.

As of January 2015, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has a new electronic system called Express Entry to manage applications for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Trades program.


To apply, you must:

“Full-time work” means at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week, or an equal amount in part-time, paid work experience. For example:

Up to two employers can commit to employing you for at least one year of continuous full-time work, meaning at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week.


There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. But, if you want to earn points for your education under Express Entry, you either need:

A Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree OR an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report produced by an agency approved by CIC to show it is equal to Canadian education standards.


You must: meet the minimum language leveL of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for speaking and listening, and Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 for reading and writing.


7202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations

7204 Contractors and supervisors, carpentry trades

7205 Contractors and supervisors, other construction trades, installers, repairers and servicers

7271 Carpenters

7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades

8211 Supervisors, logging and forestry

8221 Supervisors, mining and quarrying

8241 Logging machinery operators

8252 Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialized livestock workers

9211 Supervisors, mineral and metal processing

9241 Power engineers and power systems operators

9243 Water and waste treatment plant operators


7231 Machinists and machining and tooling inspectors

7233 Sheet metal workers

7235 Structural metal and plate work fabricators and fitters

7236 Ironworkers

7237 Welders and related machine operators

7241 Electricians (except industrial and power system)

7242 Industrial electricians

7243 Power system electricians

7244 Electrical power line and cable workers

7245 Telecommunications line and cable workers

7246 Telecommunications installation and repair workers

7251 Plumbers

7252 Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers

7253 Gas fitters

7311 Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics

7312 Heavy-duty equipment mechanics

7313 Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics

7314 Railway carmen/women

7315 Aircraft mechanics and aircraft inspectors

7318 Elevator constructors and mechanics

7371 Crane operators

7372 Drillers and blasters – surface, mining, quarrying and construction

7373 Water well drillers

8231 Underground production and development miners

8232 Oil and gas well drillers, servicers, testers and related workers

9232 Petroleum, gas and chemical process operators


As Canadian immigration specialists, CIP is committed to ensuring that you obtain the best Canadian visa or immigration service for your requirements. You can set your application in motion today by submitting our Initial Consultation Form to schedule your consultation with one of our immigration attorneys.

After we assess your qualifications, you will be informed if you qualify. If you would qualify to apply for Canada Immigration as a Federal Skilled Trades Immigrant, we open your file and proceed with the processing of your application for the permanent resident visa.

Please note that CIP will not share your personal information with any other third party, any information submitted to us will only be used to assess your visa eligibility.